We love this sweet, spicy and flavorful LIGHTER alternative to the popular Chinese fast food version because it is now bariatric friendly and it is quick and easy and so delicious!
For the Orange Sauce
- 1/3 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (Tamari for gluten-free)
- 2 tbsp raw sugar
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
- 1 tbsp sriracha, or more to taste
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
For the Chicken
- 20 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1-inch grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds, for garnish
- Mix the orange sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Season the chicken lightly with salt and coat evenly with corn starch, set aside.
- Heat a wok on high heat, add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and add half of the chicken. *Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side until well browned, set aside. Add 1 teaspoon of oil and chicken and repeat cooking 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Set aside with the rest of the chicken.
- Add remaining teaspoon of oil and quickly stir-fry the minced garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the orange zest then return the chicken to the pan. *Quickly stir the chicken then add the orange sauce and cook until the sauce thickens, about 1 to 2 minutes. Divide between 4 plates and garnish with the scallion and sesame seeds.
- Servings: 4, Size: generous 3/4 cup
- Calories: 288
- Protein: 32.5 grams
- Carb: 18 grams
- Fat: 9 grams